In the Coming Days {and some previous ones as well]

I've been out and about more than usual. Well, by the end of this week that will be the case.

I suppose I feel like I've been doing more (even though I've been doing a lot less of what I normally do) because I've been obsessing over slam/spoken word poetry. I went to a workshop at OCU led by Sarah Kay. I discovered her the night before the workshop, and I loved being able to go, even if I felt a little [lot] rusty. She played several videos of other spoken word poets, and as it turns out, one of them [Andrea Gibson] will be at OCU on Thursday. I am excited. I wrote about two poems in my head in the shower today. It's just unfortunate that I don't have something to instantly turn my thoughts into a hard copy I won't forget.

Wednesday is a reading by Carolyn Forche
Thursday is Andrea Gibson (and a little Safari for Cora)
Saturday is OCU's Creative Writing Festival.

I love being attached to a university. But in reality, any one can be. Universities and public libraries too often fly under the radar for their serious radness and ability to contribute to a community, if only the community would take full advantage of free and open to the public.

The video I posted for Sarah Kay is long, but I love her poem at the beginning (and the end). One line reminds me of Magnolia, and I'm sure it helps that the poem starts "if I should have a daughter..." She says "Remember you're the girl with small hands and big eyes who never stops asking for more." Jake and I often comment on how big Nolia's eyes are and how tiny her hands. She goes on to say "don't you ever apologize for the way your eyes refuse to stop shining. Your voice is small but don't ever stop singing. And when they finally hand you heartache, when they slip war and hatred under your door and offer you hand outs on street corners of cynicism and defeat, you tell them they really ought to meet your mother."

We left for Walmart to get some groceries at 4:45 PM this afternoon. Late, I know. We'd been playing outside, and I didn't want to cut it short because I started it late as well. [I have been so off kilter this week.] Just as we were about to leave the store, Cora said she wanted spaghetti for dinner. I played it old school style and bought the jar of sauce [except that true OS is a can]. I came home, threw together the spaghetti with the whole jar of sauce rather than "just enough," made a quick salad and some green beans. We rarely have sides. Vegan main dishes tend to be a pretty complete source of everything, but tonight called for something special. Cora had three helpings of spaghetti. THREE HUGE HELPINGS! I couldn't believe it as I watched her go. My parents made either tacos or spaghetti for dinner just about every other night of the week. They were smart. It's cheap, it's easy, it's yummy, and there's something oh so comforting about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Powered by Blogger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top