Part of the Legacy of Joan

One of my wildest dreams came true today! Jake and I were in the basement watching a movie when we saw a flash of white go past our basement windows toward our garage. When the flash of white moved back down our driveway, Jake went upstairs to see what was going on. The flash of white belonged to the habit of Maria, a granddaughter of the original owners of Joan. Her grandparents lived here for 41 years, from 1938-1979. Her grandfather, Henry Faulkner, worked for General Mills, and her grandmother played organ and piano for silent films. They had three children, Joanne, Jack, and William. They moved here when Joanne (Jan) was 16 and William was 11. William is Maria's father.
Maria's family moved to Minnesota and would come and visit grandparents every summer - their country grandparents in Norman, and their city grandparents right here. When Maria was 4.5, she fell down the stairs and chipped her front tooth. We have only lived here for three years, but I have thought numerous times about all of the lives that happened here before we arrived. This happens most often when I am helping Magnolia in the bath. I wonder how many children have left rings around the tub in the last 82 years. It was wonderful to put a face with the wondering.

Maria spoke highly of her aunt Joanne, that she could do anything, and even regularly swam in the Pacific Ocean in her 90s. I love that Joan's name came to me when I was walking down her stairs one one morning and that it shares similarities with someone who lived here first. Maria's grandmother had a sister named Magnolia, "Aunt Maggie."

Maria and her friend, Teresa, both live in south OKC. I feel like I just met two old friends. Teresa has already invited us over for pho, as well as told me she would teach me all the ways of Vietnamese cuisine. Looking forward to the time we can make it happen.

I am just so thrilled about all of it. (Minus the fact that I was still in my pajamas. Yes, I am wearing one of Magnolia shirts.)



2 comments:

  1. What a great story! And I'm sure Maria was thrilled with the amazing family living there now!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Powered by Blogger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top