Firsts, Seconds, Pick-ups, and Poses

After my girls' bath tonight…WAIT! It wasn't bath, it was a shower. Their second shower ever. Their last bath was a shower too. It's weird…and not weird all at the same time. 

So, after my girls' shower tonight, and after I combed their hair, I decided to blow-dry Cora's hair before bed. I think that was the second time I've ever done that. We had about three inches cut off of the length of her hair on Monday. It looks so spectacular and lovely. And she looks older. And it's weird…and not weird at the same time. Magnolia got a trim too, and now their hair is about the same length. I would LOVE for Magnolia to sport a chin-length bob. It isn't going to happen. I blame Rapunzel and Tangled for that. It would just be so cute because of her cute round face. I think she has a vintage look about her. 

While blow-drying their hair (I went ahead and did Magnolia's too), I thought about how I've never purchased foundation before. Ever. Not once in my whole life. I'm 29, and I've never purchased a staple make-up item in most women's make-up collection. I have owned it and used it. My mother-in-law sells Mary Kay, and she hooked me up with some. 

I think the first time I became aware of the fact that I'd never purchased any was during the Joy to the World music event I participated in. Two women sort of took charge in the "how to do your makeup for the performance since it will be televised" department. Their number one suggestion was that we wear foundation and powder. I went home, dug through a bag of makeup, and found some very old MK foundation, slathered some on, and realized it was not at all good anymore. I wasn't going to go buy new foundation since I never wear it anyway, but I couldn't help but feel weird that I had no idea where to even start on such a routine thing. I didn't wear any foundation for the performance. I've seen the television recording, and I think I was just fine. Phew!

Why did I think about all of this while blow-drying my girls' hair? I'm not sure really. I think it has something to do with how I'll be the one who teaches them how to do their makeup and hair, and stuff like that, and I just sort of fake it all. Wait a second. Rather than fake it all, I'm going to look at it as keeping it really real. That's what I do, I keep it real in the makeup department. :) 

Super glamorous eye make up? I have no idea. But I do know that mascara gives my blonde eyelashes a little oomph, so I wear it almost every day. I wear a peachy pink blush a little less than I wear mascara, and lipstick about half as often as blush. And it's always some shade of red. I wrote a poem in college called "Lips were Meant to be Red." I guess I really meant it. When I'm not wearing lipstick I'm wearing Burt's Bees or Pangea lip balm. That's it. That's the extent of the makeup knowledge I'll have to pass along to my daughters. Less is more? I hope they'll appreciate that. 

I was supposed to pick my dad up from the airport about three hours ago, but his flight was delayed. He was supposed to get here at 5:30. Now it's 11:30. He's coming out to do the Dirty30 Mud course with me, which is tomorrow. I really wanted to do it, but not alone. I called him up and asked if he wanted to do it. He did! I'm excited about it. We're going to Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals tomorrow night. I'm also really excited about that. I need the Thunder to bring it. He'll be here until Tuesday morning.

This morning, I went to a yoga class at the Mitch Park YMCA before open swim in their fun pool. The yoga class was really good. I've been trying to practice yoga every day. I've gotten out of my routine. After my months of dealing with a running injury, which was really all about my IT Band, I can definitely feel a difference in my practice pre and post injury. I worked on a pose I haven't done much, Parsva Bakasana (side crow pose). I got into the pose just fine, and then I attempted to straighten my legs out. Whoa. I think I tried to scissor my legs out first. That's where I realized how tight my IT bands had become, and how stiff my hips felt. My legs weren't going anywhere. And that's okay. I think it's really valuable to learn limits. I don't like calling this a "limit," even though it currently is. I'm thinking of it more as a starting point. I will get stronger. And I will rediscover my flexibility. Um…I will work really hard and very patiently for the flexibility I had before all the injury.

Also in yoga, we did a modified Camatkarasana (Wild Thing) with one knee down. I haven't done this pose in so long, I'd almost forgotten about it. Every since I got home, I've been randomly getting into [unmodified] Wild Thing. It feels so good. Sooooo good. I always love feeling the power that moves through my body when I move it certain ways. This pose makes me feel so light and alive. Not just while I'm in it, but for quite a while after. I love what I learn from my body - what being in tune with my body teaches me about so many other things.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Powered by Blogger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top