Baby Rose [and a Pregnancy Announcement Photo Shoot]

My friend Ashleigh is having a baby. I've written about her more than once, but here is a post from a while back that is a good summation of her and our friendship.

Jake and I have done some major life events a little ahead of the curve of our peers, namely getting married and having kids. So it's so fun when friends who have been there all along the way take their turns in these events. I am ecstatic for this new person to come, and so sad that I'm going to be about 1,300 miles away when Baby Rose makes his/her debut in the world. 

[May I interject something? Of course. For all of the things we've done ahead of the curve, I think it's so funny, and kind of awesome (and a little terrifying) that after having been married for 10.5 years, 2 kids, and a dog, we are embarking on a PhD program in the school year where we'll both turn 30. Yep. That's us, too.]

Ashleigh asked if I would take some pictures of her and Andrew to announce their happy news. Of course I said, "YES!" But please know this: I am a huge lover of surprises. I love when I'm surprised, and I love when other people are surprised, but not being able to openly discuss the whole "ASHLEIGH'S HAVING A BABY!" news with anyone was so hard. I was admittedly "Freaking Excited Sue." Since the good news has been shared with family and friends, I'm happy to finally share a few of the photos from the shoot we did. 

We chose OCU because it's a special place for them. It's where they met, the university from which they graduated, where Andrew proposed, and where they were married. 








  





































They were married in the chapel at OCU, and the lighting inside was both tricky and beautiful. The chapel has four large stained-glass windows that represent the four seasons. They are lovely when the sun shines through them. The day of our shoot was overcast, so Ashleigh and Andrew would be in perfect position, and then the sun would either come out just as I was taking the picture, or go back into hiding. Their sign was also a little tricky because perfect light on Ashleigh and Andrew often meant a glare on their sign. The shots in the chapel are all without post processing and in natural light. I love how warm they came out. They had their "first look" before the wedding on the stairs in these photos, so they have photos from their wedding day and photos announcing Baby Rose in the same spot. Andrew worked in the Gold Star Building, which is the Law Library, while he was a student at OCU. I love that they switched the message on their board to match the mascot and most iconic building on campus. 

I'll leave you with two photos where the sun got the best of us in the chapel. They're both when the sun came out just as I was hitting the shutter button. I majorly messed with the exposure on the first one (I think the graininess gives it a vintage-y feel, and I like it, despite its lack of clarity). I like the dark one for the colors of the "summer" window outlining their silhouettes. 







































I wonder if my journey in photography will be much like my journey in pottery - where what is unintended often pleases me more than what is intentional.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Powered by Blogger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top