Life goes on, but it's hard to say Goodbye.

Tonight I said a temporary goodbye to a good friend. I'm sure everyone knows how this feels.

My eyes welled up. I tried my best to contain it and succeeded.

I left Jake and Cora to clean up the rest of the dishes after the dinner I made to take a solitary bike ride. When I passed the first dog, I leaned forward to Cora's seat to say "doggy."

I have become programmed to name the world, even id the one I'm making definitions for isn't there.

I made my way along a familiar path:

Up Walker, passed First Christian Church, rode down the hill without braking, east on 38th passed Crown Heights Park, up the steady incline on Shartel, and then I looked at something I've seen hundreds of times only to find something new.

There is a plaque above the doors of Westminster Presbyterian Church that has important dates of founding a completion along with a sort of creed

"To become a complete disciple of Jesus Christ"

I pulled Josephine over to take a picture - I've been doing that of my favorite things in Oklahoma...capturing them so I can write about them. After a moment of looking and feeling these words so deep inside, I got back on Josephine and came to Douglas Park. It is set up on a hill. I'm sitting on a retaining wall, catching bits of the soft breeze in my nostrils as it blows across my face (wind this gentle is a celebration).

I'm listening to the birds and the constant whir of cars of 235 that I've come to love so much. Birds are pecking in the grass, and a train is rolling by. The tall steel transmission towers are sharing their red glow, blinking slowly, on and off...

on

and


off.

They are consistent.

To become a complete disciple of Jesus Christ...
I usually don't read too far into things, but complete hasn't settled on a definitive meaning in me yet. Am I complete as a disciple of Christ, or am I always trying to completely become a disciple of Him. In every way.

Maybe I need not feel that my role is just about defining things for others, but about continually pondering what things mean to me.

I don't want everything inside to sit on a shelf waiting for me to get around to it.


from Flying with Lightning Wings (a place for writing that is just for me)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you used the word temporary. I guess you'll get to see a part of me tonight :) Thank you.
    I was thinking of the meaning of the word complete and I can't dissociate it from Jesus Christ. He makes everything complete. All of my work as a mother is not good enough with out his help. Same with my work as a follower of Christ. Maybe the word complete is unnecessary in that sentence because it is quite redundant when used with the word Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Powered by Blogger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top