OKC Memorial Marathon 2012

This year I ran a 5k on a relay team whose five members collectively finished the length of the OKC Memorial Marathon. It was a fabulous experience.
[Before my little family dropped me off downtown to watch the start]

Our team was called "The Smokin' Hot Mamas," and it was so fun to meet the three ladies on the team I didn't know. We all met a few blocks before the finish line after we were done with our legs to finish the race together. 

The Memorial Marathon is a "Run to Remember" and a tribute to the victims, family members, and survivors of the OKC bombing. It was a really emotional experience, and I found myself with tears in my eyes on more than one occasion. I loved the people lined up throughout the course to cheer on runners, provide comic relief, and lend support. It's definitely a community affair. When I was finished with my leg (I ran second), I was able to go home and cheer on the half marathoners as their course went right in front of Dot. If the course goes passed our house again next year (it usually runs a street south of us), I've got all sorts of plans. Speaking of half-marathons, my mother-in-law, Tracey, walked the half this year with a group of teachers from her school. YAY Moss teachers!    

I think my relationship with running has evolved, and I'm not exactly sure what I mean by that, other than I've been enjoying it. I had a time in mind for my split, I wanted to break 30, which was about the pace I'd been running at. I ended up running with a side stitch for a little over half of my race and came in at 31:29. I'm cool with it. Especially since I've really only been training for about four weeks after my whole foot fiasco, and it was just "hilly" enough to add an extra little challenge. I've planted a little thought in my mind that I'd like to run the half next year. I also really loved running on a team, and I think it would be fun to do a longer leg, but I like the idea of pushing myself and getting in the extra miles. I think I'm perfectly apt physically to "go the distance," but I'm not great at pushing myself mentally. I get "bored" while running. I think if I was running socially, it might change the game, but the idea of all of that training by myself with nothing but a race in the future to hold me accountable...whatever, I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. YEA for finishing it! My work out buddies are running a 1/2 marathon this weekend and I'm jealous so its on my list for next year......

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Powered by Blogger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top