More thoughts from a conservative Liberal

Last week, I was a substitute at Holdenville High School. The teacher I was covering for was so organized, I had a binder full of lesson plans and copies already made and waiting on my desk to hand out on designated days. Planning was first hour (first hour planning is so lame), and as any good teacher knows, a classroom is never left unorganized for the next day, so I basically had an hour to kill before I saw the students. I decided to get in some scripture study. I guess I was looking for answers as in regard to how to deal with what is going on in the world around me. The three topics my mind was led to were Compassion, equality, and health.

Whenever I vote (I have two presidential elections under my belt, mind you), I always try to think about how Christ would handle the issues that seem to weigh heavily on most people's minds. It helps me wade through the muck of information that surrounds me. Most hot topic issues boil down to people, they should anyway. I think too often we hear "health care, abortion, environmental awareness, immigration, etc," and think of them as things and not people. I consider myself a humanist, and in my relationship with Christ, I view Him as the ultimate humanist. "Thus speaketh the Lord of hosts, saying, Execute true judgement, and shew mercy and compassions every man to his brother: And opress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart" (Zecharaiah 7:9-10 - the whole chapter is great). If I can make life better for those around me, I'd like to - no strings attached. There will always be people who take advantage of social programs, but even moreso, there are people who are given an increased quality of life because of them. "For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality: As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack" (2 Corinthians 8:13-15).

One of the things that I love about drawing closer to the Savior is that my relationship is different than yours or yours or yours. But His relationship is the same with everyone. He understands everything we encounter. He loves me just as much as He loves you. He is every human being's biggest fan. I don't ever not want to give in every way I can to someone He gave everything for. I don't just mean people residing in the United States, I think much more internationally than that. I'm pretty sure Christ is not affiliated with a party or for profit. He doesn't function under the social constraints created by men. "And he said unto them: Behold, my bowels are filled with compassion towards you. Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leporous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy" (3 Nephi 17:6-7).

As I read the words and teachings of Jesus Christ, my heart is filled with peace. It is an indication that loving people as he did is really the most important part. I never want to feel like I'm in survival mode, that everything will make sense someday. I, along with everyone else, was given this most precious gift of life, a mind with the ability to discern (one of my favorite things to do is think) all that comes my way. We were made to be smart and take advantage of our intellect. I hope, more than anything, that when I come before my maker I will not feel the burden of disappointment knowing that I did not live to the fullest and help others do the same.

"And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it" (1 Corinthians 12:26).

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you shared this because that is always my thinking when people complain about the government programs that are out there. I know there are those people who do take advantage, but those programs were designed to help those who can't help themselves at the moment. I always think of the scripture: "...succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees." - D&C:81:5. We have covenanted to help our brothers, without judgement.

    I had a sixth grader tell me once how Obama was trying to take everyone's hard earned money and give it to the poor lazy people. He said he was killing the American dream to become rich! I was so shocked! I told him," I don'tknow_____, my dream is not to become rich and we are told to help the poor." (now, I do want to say I don't agree with a lot of what Obama is doing)
    I still get mad about that. 6th grade!! Hello parents!

    Anyway, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's like when I was in third grade and we were learning about Martin Luther King Jr. We made little collages that we hung from the ceiling that started "I have a dream..." My response was "that Bill Clinton will get impeached." I'd spent a lot of time with Uncle Kim that year. ;)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Powered by Blogger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top