A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

It finally cooled off today. It wasn't unbearable inside, and outside was gorgeous. Cora and I played out in the yard for about 2 hours, and then I came inside to make dinner. Spicy black bean posole - the meal I ate the night before I had Cora.

Our neighborhood is amazing. I don't think I could have ever imagined how aesthetically appealing it is to me, in so many different ways. Everywhere I look, I find something pleasing to my eyes. There are hundreds, if not thousands entry doors made from beautiful wood with wonderful carvings. The landscaping is out of this world. I don't know how it just seems to appear over night after Winter decides its finally over. The trees are old and cover the streets.

I know why people plant themselves here for good. One of the neighborhood's most famous residents - who am I kidding - the most famous resident and his family returned home today. That's right. The Obamas are in town for the first time since we've been here. We live 2 blocks from their house. We can't park on our street, and it's completely closed to traffic a block west of us. It's so exciting. The likelihood of getting to see them is slim to none, unless I park myself on the sidewalk and wait for them.

But I don't want to do that.

There's something so comforting about coming home. Today was the perfect day to be on Lake Shore Drive. I know the excitement of exiting off into the Historic Kenwood and Hyde Park neighborhoods. Driving down Hyde Park Boulevard, covered in trees. On the news, I saw Michelle run down the sidewalk with Bo. What a sense of peace that must bring. I know how wonderful I feel when I walk through the door after being gone.

I like knowing that the President of the United States is right down the road. But more than that, right now, he is a husband/father who brought his family home for the weekend (even though he'll be in the gulf tomorrow). I hope they love every second of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Powered by Blogger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top